The Jimmy Fund explored the culinary world for its first-ever cooking livestream event Toro Cooks for Jimmy this fall. On Sunday, October 18, supporters got a behind-the-scenes experience of Toro Restaurant with Toro Executive Chef Josh Elliott and Island Creek Oyster Director of Sales Bill Weiss.
A Spanish tapas restaurant, Toro has been serving Boston’s South End since 2005. Created by James Beard Award-winning Chefs Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonnette, the menu features Barcelona-inspired hot and cold small plates. Island Creek Oyster bar serves sustainable seafood in a sophisticated setting, bringing the farm to the restaurant. By collaborating on the Toro Cooks for Jimmy livestream event, both establishments, vital to the Boston restaurant community, helped bring the Jimmy Fund and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s lifesaving mission to a new generation of foodies.
Watch the livestream below as Chef Elliot walks through some of Toro’s most beloved fall dishes, including pan con tomate (bread with tomato), maiz asado (roasted corn), and gambas al ajillo (griddle garlic shrimp). Cook along with the ingredient lists below, and make a donation to further Dana-Farber’s mission while perfecting your cooking-from-home skills during the pandemic.
Pan con Tomate
- Box grater
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 loaf fresh ciabatta bread
- High quality olive oil
- Maldon or high-quality flake salt
- Grill, or grill pan & tongs
- 3-4 ears of corn
- Espelette pepper (can sub black pepper or tajin seasoning)
- Cotija cheese (can sub Parmigiano or Romano cheese)
- Lime wedges
- For quick aioli:
- 3 cups of high-quality mayonnaise of your preference
- 2 oz. (fresh squeezed) lemon juice and 1 lemon zested with microplane
- 1 tbl. grated garlic *grated with a microplane
- Pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper